The Thai people are family orientated and love children. You will find children are welcome everywhere and very young children in particular will be made a huge fuss of. This can be a little unnerving for children from the West but remember it is all done with the kindest intentions.
The beach remains the number one attraction for all families but, for those days when you’ve all had too much sun or just want to do something different, there is plenty to do on the island. Some of the most popular family activities are:
- Boat trip to Phang Nga
- Elephant rides – these are available in several places on the island and are often part of a tour package
- The Aquarium at Cape Panwa – well worth the visit; next door are the turtle displays where you can see turtles nesting, hatching and growing
- Splash Jungle Water Park at Mai Khao beach – a fantastic water park for children of all ages but, if you’re on a budget, check the prices before arriving
- Mini golf at Dino Park and at Bangtao beach
- Tin Mine Museum in Kathu
- Sea canoeing
- Snorkelling/scuba diving
- Mountain biking
- Horse riding in Chalong or at Laguna
- Cable water skiing and wake boarding at Kathu Water Ski Park
- Phuket FantaSea Show – a glitzy animal show. Great fun!
- Bowling at Jungceylon shopping centre or Big C
- Off-road vehicle trips through the jungle
- Gibbon Rehabilitation Project at Khao Phrae Thaew National Park
- Paintballing at Phuket Shooting Range in Chalong
- Go-kart speedway near Patong
Normally, there will be information in your rental property. There are also many tour agencies on the island and, of course, lots of information on the internet.